1. Do you think that Beowulf grows in stature as a hero? Explain
2. Briefly summarize the battle between Beowulf and Grendel’s mother.
3. Describe what happens when Beowulf attempts to fight the dragon alone.
4. Critics have praised the Beowulf poet’s skill at describing various settings. (a) Find a passage in which the poet displays this skill. (b) Explain what makes the description so effective.
5. (a) Compare and contrast the three battles described in these excerpts. (b) In what ways are all three battles different versions of the poem’s main conflict?
6. (a) Identify the figure of speech that the poet uses in lines 578-583. (b) Explain how the figure of speech adds to the meaning of the poem.
7. Many critics claim that Beowulf contains themes that are relevant to modern life. Do you agree or disagree? Why?