1) The main purpose of descriptive statistics is to
A. summarize data in a useful and informative manner
B. make inferences about a population
C. determine if the data adequately represents the population
D. gather or collect data
2) The general process of gathering, organizing, summarizing, analyzing, and interpreting data is called
B. descriptive statistics
C. inferential statistics
D. levels of measurement
3) The performance of personal and business investments is measured as a percentage, return on investment. What type of variable is return on investment?
4) What type of variable is the number of robberies reported in your city?
5) What level of measurement is the number of auto accidents reported in a given month?
6) The names of the positions in a corporation, such as chief operating officer or controller, are examples of what level of measurement?
7) Shoe sizes, such as 7B, 10D, and 12EEE, are examples of what level of measurement?
8) Monthly commissions of first-year insurance brokers are $1,270, $1,310, $1,680, $1,380, $1,410, $1,570, $1,180, and $1,420. These figures are referred to as
A. a histogram
B. raw data
C. frequency distribution
D. frequency polygon
9) A small sample of computer operators shows monthly incomes of $1,950, $1,775, $2,060, $1,840, $1,795, $1,890, $1,925, and $1,810. What are these ungrouped numbers called?
B. Class limits
C. Class frequencies
D. Raw data
10) The sum of the deviations of each data value from this measure of central location will always be 0.
D. Standard deviation
11) For any data set, which measures of central location have only one value?
A. Mode and median
B. Mode and mean
C. Mode and standard deviation
D. Mean and median
12) A sample of single persons receiving social security payments revealed these monthly benefits: $826, $699, $1,087, $880, $839, and $965. How many observations are below the median?
13) A dot plot shows
A. the general shape of a distribution
B. the mean, median, and mode
C. the relationship between two variables
D. the interquartile range
14) The test scores for a class of 147 students are computed. What is the location of the test score associated with the third quartile?
15) The National Center for Health Statistics reported that of every 883 deaths in recent years, 24 resulted from an automobile accident, 182 from cancer, and 333 from heart disease. Using the relative frequency approach, what is the probability that a particular death is due to an automobile accident?
A. 24/883 or 0.027
B. 539/883 or 0.610
C. 24/333 or 0.072
D. 182/883 or 0.206
16) If two events A and B are mutually exclusive, what does the special rule of addition state?
A. P(A or B) = P(A) + P(B)
B. P(A and B) = P(A) + P(B)
C. P(A and/or B) = P(A) + P(B)
D. P(A or B) = P(A) – P(B)
17) A listing of all possible outcomes of an experiment and their corresponding probability of occurrence is called a
A. random variable
B. probability distribution
C. subjective probability
D. frequency distribution
18) The shape of any uniform probability distribution is
A. negatively skewed
B. positively skewed
D. bell shaped
19) The mean of any uniform probability distribution is
A. (b – a)/2
B. (a + b)/2
C. ? x/ ?
20) For the normal distribution, the mean plus and minus 1.96 standard deviations will include about what percent of the observations?
21) For a standard normal distribution, what is the probability that z is greater than 1.75?
22) A null hypothesis makes a claim about a
A. population parameter
B. sample statistic
C. sample mean
D. Type II error
23) What is the level of significance?
A. Probability of a Type II error
B. Probability of a Type I error
C. z-value of 1.96
D. Beta error
24) Suppose we test the difference between two proportions at the 0.05 level of significance. If the computed z is -1.07, what is our decision?
A. Reject the null hypothesis.
B. Do not reject the null hypothesis.
C. Take a larger sample.
D. Reserve judgment.
25- Which of the following conditions must be met to conduct a test for the difference in two sample means?
A. Data must be at least of interval scale.
B. Populations must be normal.
C. Variances in the two populations must be equal.
D. Data must be at least of interval scale and populations must be normal.
26- For a hypothesis test comparing two population means, the combined degrees of freedom are 24. Which of the following statements about the two sample sizes in NOT true? Assume the population standard deviations are equal.
A. Sample A = 11, Sample B = 13
B. Sample A = 12, Sample B = 14
C. Sample A = 13, Sample B = 13
D. Sample A = 10, Sample B = 16
27- What is the chart called when the paired data (the dependent and independent variables) are plotted?
A. Scatter diagram
B. Bar chart
C. Pie chart
28- What is the variable used to predict the value of another called?
A. Independent variable
B. Bar chart
C. Pie chart
29- Twenty randomly selected statistics students were given 15 multiple-choice questions and 15 open-ended questions, all on the same Material. The professor was interested in determining on which type of questions the students scored higher. This experiment is an example of
A. a one sample test of means
B. a two sample test of means
C. a paired t-test
D. a test of proportions
30- The measurements of weight of 100 units of a product manufactured by two parallel processes have same mean but the standard of process A is 15 while that of B is 7. What can you conclude?
A. The weight of units in process A are grouped closer than in process B.
B. The weight of units in process B are grouped closer than in process A.
C. Both processes are out of control.
D. More data is needed to draw a conclusion.
Submitted by Adams Nigel on Fri, 2016-01-15 02:35
teacher rated 5 times
body preview (0 words)
file1.docx preview (1115 words)
xxxxxxx xxxxx xxxx
1) The main xxxxxxx xx descriptive xxxxxxxxxx is xx A. xxxxxxxxx data xx x useful and informative xxxxxx xx xxxx xxxxxxxxxx about x xxxxxxxxxx C. xxxxxxxxx if the xxxx adequately xxxxxxxxxx xxx population D. xxxxxx or xxxxxxx data xx The xxxxxxx process of gathering, organizing, xxxxxxxxxxxx analyzing, and xxxxxxxxxxxx xxxx is xxxxxx xx xxxxxxxxxx B. descriptive xxxxxxxxxx xx xxxxxxxxxxx statistics xx levels of measurement 3) The xxxxxxxxxxx of xxxxxxxx and business investments xx measured as a percentage, xxxxxx xx xxxxxxxxxxx xxxx xxxx of variable is xxxxxx xx xxxxxxxxxxx A. Qualitative B. Continuous xx xxxxxxxxx xx Discrete 4) xxxx type xx variable is xxx number xx robberies reported xx xxxx city? A. Attribute xx xxxxxxxxxx xx Discrete D. xxxxxxxxxxx 5) xxxx xxxxx of xxxxxxxxxxx is the xxxxxx of auto accidents reported xx x given xxxxxx xx Nominal B. Ordinal xx Interval D. Ratio xx xxx xxxxx xx xxx positions in x
– – – more text follows – – –
Buy this answer
Try it before you buy it
Check plagiarism for $2.00
Numerical analysis homework help
We can offer a similar ASSIGNMENT at a reasonable price. All our papers are written from the scratch and 100% plagiarism free.